Pets love to be included in all that we do, and that of course includes travel too! If you’re planning a road trip this summer, we’re willing to bet you’re at least considering taking your pets along for the ride. Traveling together can be a great bonding experience, allowing your pet to get out and explore by your side.
Preparation is key:
- Pack a travel bag for your pets
- Bring vaccine records- just in case
- Pack extra gallons of water if possible
- A toy & blanket (or bed) that smell like home
- A carrier, crate, or pet seat belt so your pet is as safe as you while on the road
- A spare leash to be kept in the car
Road Trip Considerations:
- Plan to stop every 3-4 hours to let your dog out to stretch his legs and relieve himself
- Offer water at the start of your pit stops, and again before you load up in the car
- Feed your dog at least 1 hour before riding in the car to avoid an upset tummy
- Get some exercise both before and after a long day in the car.
- Bring treats and use these mini-breaks as a small training opportunity with your pup.
- Stuff a kong toy and let your dog enjoy from the safety of his crate or carrier.