The English Cocker Spaniel is a compassionate, athletic, and intelligent breed. They are well known for the optimism and extreme loyalty. They bond strongly with their owners and make great family pets as well as companion animals. They love being around people and do not do well alone.
Top 10 Facts:
1. One English Cocker Spaniel named Lupo is a member of the royal family! Adopted by Prince William and Kate Middleton in 2012, Lupo is the son of the duchess’s mother’s Cocker Spaniel.
2. One of the most popular representations of the English Cocker Spaniel is the character of Lady in Disney’s Lady and the Tramp.
3. The English Cocker Spaniel is closely related to the American Cocker Spaniel (often referred to as just the ‘Cocker Spaniel’). The difference in the breeds is in their size, with the English Cocker Spaniel being the larger breed.
4. President John F. Kennedy owned an English Cocker Spaniel named Shannon while he was in office.
5. There is some evidence to suggest that the English Cocker Spaniel may have arrived on the Mayflower in 1620 at Plymouth, Massachusetts with the pilgrims.
6. English Cocker Spaniels traditionally have docked tails. They do not have naturally bobbed tails and their tails are normally docked at birth.
7. While very intelligent, English Cocker Spaniels have a “soft” personalities, meaning that they do not respond well to negative reinforcement and should be trained with gentle and consistent methods.
8. The name “Cocker” comes from what the breed was originally trained to hunt. The primary game of the English Cocker Spaniel is the woodcock.
9. This happy breed with his ever wagging tail is nicknamed the “Merry Cocker.”
10.The English Cocker Spaniel is rated as the 18th most intelligent breed!