As a devoted PetParent, we know your pet’s health and happiness are of your utmost concern. We understand that you’re prepared to leave the in-depth medical diagnoses to your vet (as you should!), but that perhaps you have an interest in being able to provide your pups a small bit of comfort right in your own home.
Having knowledge about which over the counter medications you might already have at home that can help your dog is a great thing! Here is our round-up of dog-safe people medications that you can feel free to use on your dog with just a bit of guidance from your vet.
Dog-Safe People Medications:
- Buffered Asprin– anti-inflammatory, pain relief
- Pepto Bismol– upset stomach, gas, diarrhea
- Hydrogen Peroxide– used exclusively to induce vomiting after a dog has ingested certain poisons
- Cortisone Cream– itchy spots/bumps
- Benadryl– allergies and itching
- Antibiotic cream– apply to scrapes and slight wounds that don’t require stitches
- Immodium– diarrhea relief
- Pedialyte (unflavored)- for use if your dog has become severely dehydrated, weakened
- Mineral Oil– to ease constipation
- Robutussin– for cough suppressant, relieve hacking
You should ALWAYS consult with your dog’s veterinarian prior to administering any medications yourself at home. Your vet will not only be able to help you identify the correct dosage for your dog, they can note your dogs medical chart at the same time and keep all their records up to date!