The Dachshund, commonly called wiener dog, doxie, or doxin, comes in three coat varieties, and two sizes. Although they are generally timid, they can be aggressive with strangers and need some house training, especially if there are children in the home. Doxies live an average of 12-15 years, but they are prone to slipped disk problems caused by their long body and short legs.
Click here to find Dachshund rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
- The sausage is named after the dog, not the other way around!
- The Dachshund is the 5th most popular dog in America.
- Dachshund means “badger dog” in German, although the original Dachshunds were much larger.
- They have excellent noses, which in addition to their web like paws and small size, makes them excellent hunters for underground varmints!’
- H. L. Mencken said that, “A dachshund is a half-dog high and a dog-and-a-half long.”
- Pablo Picasso’s Dachshund named Lump was thought to have inspired some of his artwork.
- Some evidence suggests that an ancestor of these pups lived in ancient Egypt.
- The largest Dachshund rescue group can be found at this website!
- They can be as short as 8 inches tall!
- Many famous PetParents have owned Dachsunds, including JFK, Grover Cleveland, Andy Warhol, Adele, Donald Rumsfeld!