The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is a gentle, loyal, and vigilant breed. They are a highly active breed that require vigorous daily exercise. They are extremely affectionate and love spending time with their humans. While they tend to be quite independent, they are not the dominant dog type and respond well to obedience training. They would make a good pet for someone with an active lifestyle looking for a loyal companion.
Click here to find Wirehaired Pointing Griffon rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is known as the Korthals Griffon in the United Kingdom.
2. They have also been nicknamed “the Supreme Gun Dog,” because of their excellent hunting skills both on land and in the water.
3. Wirehaired Pointing Griffons have been owned by lots of royal family members, including Rainier III, the Prince of Monaco.
4. A key physical trait of the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is its brown colored nose.
5. These dogs are not well suited for apartment or city life. It is recommended that they live either in a country environment or in a house with a large yard.
6. Despite their shaggy look, these dogs are pretty easy to groom! If brushed a couple times weekly, these dogs will stay looking in tip top shape.
7. Wirehaired Pointing Griffons make good family dogs because they are loving towards children and tolerant of other family pets if introduced to them at a young age.
8. There are not many breeders of the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, so finding a pup might be difficult depending on where you live.
9. The first dog to be registered by the AKC as a WPG was named “Zolette,” registered in 1887.
1o. These dogs love the water, they even have webbed feet!