The Toy Fox Terrier is a playful, spirited, and a loyal breed. They are not recommended for families with small children, but do very well as companion animals for the elderly and disabled. While they are very active, they do not have very large exercise requirements and can tire themselves out indoors well. They have very low grooming requirements, but tend to shed frequently.
Click here to find Toy Fox Terrier rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Toy Fox Terriers love to play and are easily trainable.
2. The Toy Fox Terrier is a result of the crossbreeding of the Smooth Fox Terrier, Italian Greyhound, Manchester Terrier, and Chihuahua.
3. This breed was often used by the circus to perform tricks like walking a tight rope and jumping high into the air.
4. These dogs are highly intelligent and have a natural way with agility sports.
5. The Toy Fox Terrier actually originated in the United States and is sometimes referred to as the Amertoy!
6. The Toy Fox Terrier was bred to be small enough to fit in the saddle bags of men on horseback. They would also hunt small game for their masters.
7. One of the most interesting breed traits of the Toy Fox Terrier is that they enjoy watching television.
8. While these dogs do have cropped tails, they are completely natural to the breed.
9. These dogs can be well suited for apartment life, but they do not like getting wet and they are very susceptible to cold weather. You may just want to get a sweater for your terrier!
10. This breed is relatively sturdy but their legs can sometimes be fragile, so it is recommended that special attention is given t0 children playing with one of these pups.