The Tibetan Spaniel is a happy, intelligent, and independent breed. These little fluff balls love to be around you and your family, and do well with children although it’s recommended that older children might be better for the breed. They make prized companion animals too, being loyal and ever affectionate with their masters.
Click here to find Tibetan Spaniel rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The Tibetan Spaniel is relatively new to America, but has been around for several thousands of years. These dogs were once bred by Tibetan Buddhist lamaseries to sound the alarm when intruders were around.
2. The Tibetan Spaniel is known as the “Tibbie” by breed enthusiasts.
3. Much like cats, Tibetan Spaniels are known to love perching in high places.
4. While they are extremely intelligent, Tibbies are also very stubborn and will require some basic obedience training.
6. Tibetan Spaniels come in wide variety of colors!
7. These energetic dogs need about 30 minutes of exercise per day.
8. Despite the name, the Tibetan Spaniel is not actually a spaniel.
9. Like many small breeds, the Tibetan Spaniel has a few breed specific health problems, including progressive retinal atrophy and liver shunts.
10. The Tibetan Spaniel is classified as a non-sporting breed, and not a toy breed.