Rottweilers are a large, beautiful breed, and they’re known, sometimes notoriously, for being fierce, fearless, brave, and confident. Since Rottweilers have all the natural characteristics for a guard dog, many are trained and used as so; but don’t be fooled, these large Rotties are highly intelligent and very trainable. When properly handled, they can be quite docile. Rottweilers are a strong breed with a large muscular body that requires an immense amount of daily exercise and play. Since they are so loyal to their family, they would rather be jogging or romping in a field with their owner.
Click here to find Rottweiler rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
2. Because of their loyalty and trainability, Rotties are commonly used by law enforcement and search and rescuers today.
3. They can be traced back to Roman times when their ancestors, Mastiff-like dogs, were used to herd and defend the Roman Empire’s livestock during the invasion of Europe.
4. Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett Smith are Rottweiler owners.
5. Due to their natural guard dog instincts, Rottweilers can be aggressive towards strangers, and should be properly introduced.
6. With plenty of exercise outside, a small yard can suffice for this breed, as they are quite calm when indoors.
7. Rotties have an average lifespan of about 8-10 years old.
8. This breed is prone to several health problems including ACL damage and hip dysplasia.
9. They aren’t afraid to use force or intimidation, which makes them the best herding breed for stubborn livestock that don’t respond to traditional herders, like Border Collies.
10. Rottweilers tend to be a little goofy, drooling and farting, with their owners. Many think they are lap dogs!