The Pointer is an amiable, loyal, and active breed. These dogs require anywhere from one to two hours of exercise a day, they make excellent companion animals for active singles or families. After lots of playtime with their pals, they love to share the couch and relax with their loved ones.
Top 10 Facts:
1. Some call this breed the “English Pointer,” but their official breed name is actually just the Pointer.
2. The Westminster Kennel Club was originally created to perfect the Pointer breed and their logo today still features a Pointer.
3. The Pointer is the world’s oldest breed of sporting dog, dating back to the 1600’s.
4. These dogs are very active and would be happiest in a house with a yard.
5. They are not ideal for apartment living, but can be adapted if they are exercised properly.
6. The color of a Pointer’s coat is normally some combination of white with liver, lemon, black, or orange.
7. The Pointer is a pretty healthy overall, but can be prone to hip dysplasia and hypothyroidism.
8. Pointers are a gentle and loving breed, making them a good choice for a family pet.
9. The Pointer is thought to have descended from a mixture of the Bloodhound, Foxhound, Setting Spaniel, Greyhound and some say Terrier.
10. Their short coats require relatively little grooming. Periodic brushing and baths as needed are the only grooming requirements.