The Havanese is a playful, companionable, and affectionate breed. While they are toy dogs, they are a very strong and sturdy breed. They are very much indoor dogs, but love playing and being outside! The Havanese would make a great pet for someone looking for a great family or companion animal! Havanese are known for being great travel companions, happy to be wherever their PetParent is.
Click here to find Havanese rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. One of the most interesting facts about the Havanese is that it is a descendant of the now extinct Cuban breed Blanquito de La Habana (meaning “little white dog of Havana”).
2. A little known fact- this breed is also the national dog of Cuba!
3. One of the most characteristic traits of the Havanese breed is it’s bouncy walk, like a horse trotting.
4. These dogs are extremely social and need to be around people. If left alone for several hours a day, they will not respond well and may become destructive in their boredom.
5. The Havanese’s coats can come in any color or marking pattern.
6. This breed is also known for the silkiness of it’s coat, although some owners choose to give their Havense the puppy cut for easy maintenance.
7. While the Havanese can be hard to house-train, they are very good at learning how to use a litter box!
8. This breed has a relatively long lifespan of about 14 to 16 years- making them a long lived companion indeed.
9. One physical trait of the Havanese is it’s curly tail, which lays up onto the dogs back.
10. The Havanese made it’s way to the United States during the Cuban Revolution when several upper class families migrated. This breed peaked America’s interest and breeding began in the 1970’s when there were only 11 Havanese in the country. With lots of dedication and effort, the Havanese has become the 25th most popular dog breed in America!