The English Springer Spaniel is an affectionate and easy-going breed. ‘Springers’ as they’re often called, have a large human fan-base for a reason. They are very eager to please, and make wonderful family dogs as well as hunting companions. They love water and children, but can become destructive if they are left alone for too long. Springers are intelligent, and silly. Their greatest pleasure in life is to make their human family laugh and giggle.
Click here to find English Springer Spaniel rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The English Springer Spaniel is ranked as the thirteenth most intelligent dog breed.
2. Springers are known as the fastest of the Spaniel breeds, and are aptly named as they can jump quite high for their size.
3. One of the most famous English Springers was Merlin MacDonald who was owned by Scottish hero William Wallace! Merlin also aided William at the Battle at Stirling Bridge in 1297.
4. One of the characteristics of the breed is that they are prone to nervous urinating. To avoid this, make coming home as low key as possible and avoid causing excess excitement or stress until after your dog has made it outside for a potty break.
5. Spaniels are one of the most ancient breeds. They are cited in Welsh law as existing as early as 300 A.D.
6. The English Springer Spaniel is the predecessor of all English hunting Spaniels.
7. The breed comes in two colors, black or liver with white markings, or tricolor. They can be colored in large patches, or spots of color.
8. This breed is commonly used as a sniffer dog for explosives, bumblebee nests, illegal immigrants, and blood.
9. They are also used as drug sniffing dogs by agencies in Qatar, Sweden, Finland, and Great Britain.
10. English Springer Spaniels have an average lifespan of about 12 to 14 years- very average age among the spaniel breeds.