The Chow Chow, affectionately called the Chow, is an independent and graceful breed. The Chow normally attaches himself to a single person, but he can also be a great family dog. They are good with children if they are raised around them, but you should always supervise their interactions. They are a breed that needs lots of early socialization and can be wonderful guard dogs.
Click here to find Chow Chow rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The Chow hails from Northern China and was originally bred as a working dog.
2. One of the most distinctive traits of the Chow is his blue-black tongue.
3. This breed can be a bit on the lazy side, so it’s important that they get regular exercise.
4. One of the most famous Chow PetParents was actually Sigmund Freud. He had a Chow Chow named Jo-Fi who attended all of his therapy sessions.
5. Another famous owner is Martha Stewart who owns a Chow named Genghis Khan.
6. Chows can come in a variety of colors, including cream, fawn, red, and blue.
7. The Chow is known as one of the oldest and most recognizable breeds.
8. Chows are thought to have evolved from the gray wolf.
9. It’s said that the original teddy bear was modeled off of Queen Victoria’s Chow puppy whom she carried everywhere.
10. The Chow Chow is closely related to his cousin the Shar Pei.