The Chinese shar pei, is an ancient breed from China as their name suggests. A family guard dog this is a versatile breed that is easy to housebreak and is highly trainable with a consistent, firm owner.
Any solid coat color is acceptable for the Chinese shar pei. Their name translates to ‘sandy skin’ which is a direct reference to the shar pei’s tough, coarse coat.
Click here to find Chinese shar pei rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Shar Pei’s bond strongly with their family, but are not always the most open towards strangers.
2. Average lifespan is 8-10 years.
3. A ‘hippopotamus head’, paired with its extensive wrinkles- this is one highly recognizable breed.
4. Adult shar pei’s weigh 40-55 lbs.
5. Shar Pei’s are known for disliking water and getting wet.
6. Shar Pei’s are stubborn, and consistent training and exercise are a must.
7. Shar Pei’s are not fond of the heat, and they have a particularly hard time cooling down.
8. A versatile, all-purpose dog, Shar Pei’s were originally used to guard, track, hunt, and control vermin.
9. Chinese Shar Pei’s have a purple tongue like the chow-chow.
10. Although heavily wrinkled, these dogs are very clean, easy to groom and overall low-maintenance in the grooming department.