The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is most similar in appearance and behavior to a labrador retriever with some notable differences. Sometimes called Chesapeakes, Chessies, or CBR’s this breed is easily recognizable due to its lovely wavy, chocolate colored coat and soft eyes.
Chessies were bred in the US, in the Chesapeake Bay area where they worked with hunters and fishermen. Today, they make wonderful household and hunting companions-excelling at bird retrieval.
Click here to find Chesapeake Bay Retriever rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Chessies have a happy, exuberant cheerfulness about them. They are major ‘smilers’!
2. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers have yellow or amber colored eyes that are both beautiful and distinctive.
3. Adult chessies top the scales at 55-80 pounds, and have an average life span of 10-13 years.
4. Chessies are known for being strong swimmers and also have a gentle mouth for retrieving birds and game.
5. This breed requires weekly grooming but baths are not recommended very often as it strips the oils from the coat, and the dog temporarily looses the waterproof coating.
6. CBR’s have a waterproof coat that is said to be slightly oily and has a musky odor. All of these factors lend it towards excellence in the water.
7. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are well known for their ability to visually mark where a bird has fallen during a hunt and to retrieve nearly impeccably each and every time.
8. Chessies need daily exercise to maintain a happy outlook on life. Jogging, fetch, and swimming are all favored activities.
9. CBR’s are known for their friendliness towards strangers, other dogs/animals, and their overall happy nature.
10. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are quite cold hardy, and won’t bat an eye at jumping into icy cold water to retrieve a toy or bird during a hunt.