The Cairn Terrier is a small but hardy breed. Originally bred as working dogs in Scotland, this fearless and assertive breed is used today for hunting and burrowing to catch small prey. They are intelligent and extremely confident, much like other terrier breeds, and would make a good pet for someone willing to train them with a firm hand and provide regular exercise.
Click here to find Cairn Terrier rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Does this dog look familiar to you? A Cairn Terrier played the role of Toto in the classic film The Wizard of Oz.
2. Originating in the Scottish highlands, the Cairn Terrier is one of the oldest of the terrier breeds and one of Scotland’s earliest breeds of working dogs.
3. The Cairn Terrier is part of seven different breed categories which include: toys, gundogs, utility dogs, hounds, working dogs, pastoral, and terriers.
4. Cairn Terriers come in several colors, including pink, wheaten, blue, red, sandy, brindled, and gray.
5. The word cairn in Scottish Gaelic means “mounds of stone.” This is because the Cairn Terrier used to hunt between mounds and hills for small prey.
6. The Cairn Terrier’s double coat is very weather resistant. It even keeps the breed dry in rainy weather and keeps the water from getting in his eyes.
7. While Cairn Terriers aren’t really lapdogs, they do like sitting at your feet and are never too far away from you when you’re at home.
8. The Cairn Terrier has also had a few famous owners. Liza Minelli once owned a red Cairn named Lily.
9. The Cairn Terrier’s characteristic dark face will normally go completely grey as the dog ages, just like humans when they get grey hair!
10. Good Cairn Terrier puppies are ones who approach people, ones who seem curious and playful, and ones who are willing to be held.