The Boykin Spaniel is a companionable, energetic, and eager breed. They are dogs that need plenty of mental and physical stimulation every day. They are adaptable to apartment life if they are exercised well, but a house with a small yard is recommended. Boykins tend to be very stable around children and other dogs and make excellent family pets. They are eager to please and love being around their loved ones.
Top 10 Facts:
1. The Boykin Spaniel originated in South Carolina, and were bred specifically for hunting purposes.
2. They are the official state breed of South Carolina and September 1st is known as Boykin Spaniel Day!
3. The Boykin Spaniel is nicknamed “the dog who doesn’t rock the boat. This is because they were bred to be able to travel with hunters in their boats.
4. The Boykin Spaniel comes in any shade of liver to chocolate colored coat and can come in wavy or curly coat types.
5. They are also known for their beautiful yellow-amber colored eyes.
6. All Boykin Spaniels can actually be traced back to two strays named Dumpy and Singo.
7. These dogs are extremely versatile hunters and can even be trained to scent turtles.
8. Boykins are also extremely intelligent and trainable. All it takes is a little time and energy!
9. Because they have long floppy ears, they are easily infected. So be sure to check them regularly.
10. These loving companion animals have an average lifespan of about 14 to 16 years.