The Bichon Frise, or Bichon as it’s more commonly referred to as, is a grinning little dog with a bright white curly coat. They’re known for being playful and full of silly antics. Although a small breed, they are quite sturdily built, meaning they’re a small breed dog who does well in a home with children. Bichon’s relish in activity and require regular exercise- great walking partners, they also excel at playing fetch.
Click here to find Bichon Frise rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts
1. Bichon Frise are often compared to cotton balls with a distinctive curly white coat that is extremely soft, and somewhat bouncy- like permed hair.
2. An obedient and gentle dog, bichon’s can make a good companion for single adults and families alike.
3. Bichons were recognized by the AKC in 1972.
4. The bichon is a territorial small breed, making a great watch dog. He will sound the alarm at the slightest sign of anything out of the ordinary, and is always vigilant in his watch.
5. Known to be demanding of their persons attention, a bichon’s owner needs to be prepared to spend a lot of time with their dog.
6. Bichons have a coat that is continually growing, unlike many breeds where the coat stops growing at a certain length. They require a rigorous grooming program to maintain it properly.
7. Bichons weigh 11-20 pounds and must be on a carefully managed diet to avoid obesity.
8. Formerly used as circus dogs, bichon’s are both agile and highly trainable.
9. were a favorite breed of Italian nobility and are often depicted in painted portraits with their masters.
10. A hypoallergenic breed, bichon’s are an ideal companion for animal loving allergy sufferers.