German Shorthaired Pointers, are an energetic and intelligent breed that originated in Germany in the 1600’s. An all-purpose hunting dog, GSP’s require daily exercise to be truly happy. Wonderful hunting, hiking, jogging companions, these dogs simply excel at being active. German Shorthairs also make great family dogs due to their particular affinity for children. GSP’s make great watch dogs as well because of their alert and active nature. They’re not recommended for apartment living as they’re simply too active- these dogs need a yard of their own and room to run.
Click here to find German Shorthaired Pointers rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Shorthairs are highly trainable and respond best to gentle training methods.
2. German Shorthairs get cold easily due to a short coat and thin skin.
3. This breed has an average lifespan of about 11-14 years.
4. GSP’s are very friendly towards strangers, and great with other dogs.
5. This breed is a very independent breed that can be quite stubborn at times.
6. They come in lots of colors, including liver, liver & white or black & white.
7. GSP’s are an extremely energetic breed.
8. The breed enjoys the water and they love going for a swim or a dip.
9. Their short smooth coats require very minimal grooming.
10. German Shorthaired Pointers are a versatile, all around gun-dog. For more information on their hunting abilities and on other great hunting dogs, check out our article on the best hunting dogs here!