The Labrador Retriever, is a playful friendly dog that originated as a gun dog. However modern day retrievers have many jobs, like seeing eye dogs, police dogs, therapy dogs, and working military dogs. Labradors have amazingly friendly temperaments and make wonderful family dogs. They make wonderful hunting dogs, as their thick coats that repel water make them perfect for retrieving waterfowl. These even tempered dogs are excellent around children, and make wonderful family companions.
Click here to find Labrador Retriever rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The first and second earls of Malmesbury are said to have developed the Labrador Retriever for duck hunting on their estate.
2. Two dogs named Ned and Avon were said to be the original Labradors.
3. The breed is said to originated from the St. John’s Water dog, which gained the attention of the earls of Malmesbury.
4. The American Kennel Club did not recognize the breed until 1917.
5. Chocolate labs did not come into existence until 1930.
6. The first recognized Lab was Ben Hyde, born in 1899.
7. Labs have an excellent sense of smell, and have been used in the military to sniff out bombs, narcotics, and perpetrators.
8. Labs are known to have very soft mouths, due to their fowl retrieval instincts, and can even carry an egg in their mouths without breaking it.
9. Labs are ranked the as the 7th most intelligent dog breed.
10. Originally Labs only came in one color, the standard black. Now Labradors come in several colors including yellow, brown, red, and of course black.