The Boxer is a wonderful companion, and makes a very loyal friend. These energetic, playful characters are also very brave and are commonly used as guard dogs or even guide dogs. Children can rest assured that the Boxer will be their best bud. Looking after a Boxer is easy as they don’t need much grooming and are easy to train. Their popularity has grown ever since and still remains one of the top breeds chosen by families today.
Click here to find Boxer rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The Boxer gets the name from its fighting stance of standing on its back legs and literally using it’s front legs and paws in a boxing style.
2. Some famous PetParents that have owned Boxers are Justin Timberlake, George Clooney, Jodie Foster and Sylvester Stallone.
3. They make great guard dogs as they are very protective of their family.
4. Boxers were once used to perform in circus acts because they were so easy to train.
5. A Boxer called Brandy holds the world record for the longest tongue at 17 inches.
6. Originating from Germany, these gentle animals were used to assist hunters catching game and also as fighters purely because of their strength and endurance.
7. Boxers arrived in America shortly after World War I, where they were used as courier dogs.
8. Boxers have an average life span of about 9-10 years old.
9. This breed is also known to have a special affinity for children.
10. One of the personality traits of the Boxer is that they “hug.” This consists of them putting their front legs on your shoulders and placing their heads on your shoulder.