The Pug, is a playful small breed dog that was originally bred in China. These fun and playful pups are known for their dominant wrinkles, which is a sign of good luck. Pugs are also very social, and will want to be by their PetParent’s side at all times. These little dogs are known to be good watchdogs that tend to be less ‘yappy’ than other small breeds. Pugs snore, snort, grunt and grumble, all things that their PetParents find absolutely endearing.
Click here to find Pug rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Pugs originated in China, and evidence suggests they may have been around as early as the Han Dynasty.
2. The word ‘Pug’ comes from the Latin word for fist, because their face is shaped like a fist.
3. Marie Antoinette’s owned a Pug named Mops that she had before she married Louis XVI.
4. Queen Victoria also had Pugs and even took to breeding these smoosh-faced cuties.
5. Pugs are known to absolutely adore children.
6. The Pug is bred to be a companion animal, not for hunting or any other purpose.
7. Pugs are known to be prone to several health problems including dermatitis, hip dysplasia, and breathing problems that are generally caused by their squishy faces.
8. The average lifespan of a Pug is around 12-15 years old, they’re one canine companion who’s ready to stick around.
9. The Pug shares the same Chinese origins as the Pekingese and some of these resemblances, mostly their bug eyes and squishy faces, are still recognizable today.
10. The Pugs made their way to the U.S. after the Civil War and have become an extremely popular breed in America.