The Pomeranian, has always been a popular breed of dog. From royals to celebs, these dogs have been owned by lots of esteemed PetParents. These playful dogs make great house pets but have been known to bark excessively at noises. Pomeranians live around 12-16 years, and have also been known to suffer from hip dysplasia. The breed recently has also gained much of it’s recent popularity due to the rise of dog celebrity Boo, and is now the 19th most popular dog breed in America!
Click here to find Pomeranian rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. In many countries, Pomeranians are known as Zwergspitz.
2. Queen Victoria owned a small Pomeranian, which led to the breed reducing in size.
3. This breed can be very defensive of their territory.
4. It is recommended that you only feed Pomeranians dry dog food.
5. The first Pomeranian breed club was established in England in 1861.
6. The breed was recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1900.
8. Pomeranian are known to fall into ‘small dog syndrome,’ more commonly known as the ‘Napoleon Complex’ among humans.
9. One of the famous PetParents who owned a Pomeranian was Marie Antoinette.
10. Due to their barky natures, they are considered to be good watchdogs.