The Golden Retriever, is a fun, social, and beautiful descendant from Scotland. Golden Retrievers have long lovely golden hair and calm temperament, making them one of the most popular breeds in the United States! Golden Retrievers require regular grooming and shed profusely. They also require regular exercise and love being outdoors. They make wonderful companion animals as well as family pets.
Click here to find Golden Retriever rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Golden Retrievers are known to love children, making them excellent family dogs.
2. That silky golden coat is more than just pretty! A Golden Retriever’s coat is dense for warmth and is also able to repel water.
3. The breed was developed at the highland estate of Sir Dudley Majoribanks in Scotland.
4. Golden Retrievers were originally bred as hunting dogs and make excellent bird dogs.
5. The American Kennel Club recognized Golden Retrievers as a breed in 1932.
6. Golden Retrievers are prone to certain health disorders, like dermatitis and hip dysplasia.
7. They have a tendency to chew due to boredom, especially at an early age.
8. These dogs require regular grooming. If they are not groomed frequently enough, their coat will take on a very smelly odor.
9. Golden Retrievers have an average lifespan of about 11 years.
10. Their happy and eager temperaments make them the perfect candidate for a service dog role.