The Chihuahua, is perhaps the original ‘purse dog’ due to their affinity towards one single person. A Chihuahua is an adorable, tenacious dog who acts much larger than his physical stature might lead you to believe. Chihuahua’s can come in both a short or long haired version, and their coats come in a huge variety of colors. Not known to be great with children, unless they are gentle- the breed is said to be ‘sassy’. Absolutely indoor dogs, chihuahua’s hate the cold. They can self-exercise in the home, but do enjoy short walks on the leash, and going absolutely everywhere with their PetParent.
Click here to find Chihuahua rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. The Chihuahua is known to love burrowing, being covered up, and getting warm. A true snuggler!
2. They are widely known to have poor teeth. PetParents of the chihuahua should prepare to brush their dogs teeth and provide chews to maintain good oral health.
3. Chihuahua’s are a highly intelligent breed- something that is often overlooked due to their small size. Great little problem solvers!
4. The Chihuahua’s average weight is 2-6 lbs, making them one of the smallest dog breeds.
5. This breed is known for being shy with strangers & other dogs. A ‘one owner’ type of dog.
6. The Chihuahua was famous by two major media roles. First as ‘the Taco Bell dog’ and then as ‘Bruiser’ from the blockbuster hit Legally Blonde.
7. This breed is named after it’s home state of Chihuahua, Mexico. It is one of the most easily recognizable breeds for many Americans.
8. The Chihuahua is said to have many of the same qualities as terrier breeds.
9. This breed’s average lifespan is anywhere from 10-18 years old. They are known for their longevity.
10. Chihuahuas make great apartment dogs, and require limited exercise. They can even be trained to use an indoor potty system like this one.