The Bulldog, is one of those breeds with a face that just makes you say ‘aww!’ Bulldogs commonly suffer from health problems like breathing issues and cherry eye. A very persistent breed, Bulldogs are also known for being gentle and sweet with children. Although quite short in stature, bulldogs can weigh anywhere between 35-50 pounds making them a large lap-dog wanna be.
Click here to find Bulldog rescue organizations!
Top 10 Facts:
1. Bulldogs wander through life with a shuffling gait.
2. Due to their wrinkly natures, dirt does tend to get trapped in their faces. Consequently, their rumpled mugs do require additional cleaning.
3. Their short fine coats make bathing and grooming this breed a breeze.
4. Bulldogs make great apartment dogs- a daily walk is sufficient exercise.
5. The Bulldog was originally bred for bull-baiting.
6. The breed comes in many colors including: white, red, brindle, and fawn and are known for their deep-set dark eyes, and often protruding teeth.
7. Bulldogs have an average lifespan of 8-12 years.
8. Bulldogs are very intolerant to both heat and cold and cannot be outdoor dogs.
9. Over 80% of bulldog litters are delivered via C-section due to puppies’ large heads and shoulders.
10. Bulldogs are known to snore loudly as they sleep!